The ProgramBecome a Member
Resources are everywhere.
Code Scouts brings the community.
Create a Plan
Don't get lost in the sea of websites and tutorials. A Code Scouts mentor will help you find the resources that suit your preferences and goals, and make a learning plan tailored to you.
The Code Scouts network of mentors and peers is a scaffolding of support to aspiring new programmers. You won't be stuck on a tough challenge for long when you're surrounded by helping hands, kind words and friendly faces.
Peer learning is much more effective than learning alone, not to mention more enjoyable. Code Scouts is not a school, it's more like a party. A potluck-style learning party. Bring yourself and be our guest!
Programming is a skill, being a programmer means being part of the community. Our members get involved by participating in open source, attending local groups and events, and going to conferences. Together, Code Scouts each find their own perfect place in the tech world.
Become A Member
The first Code Scouts community has launched in Portland, Oregon. If you would like us to open a chapter in your town next, Let us know!
During the beta period, membership dues are a suggested donation of $20 monthly. Becoming a member gives you access to the mentor and member network, discounts from partners, and all community events.Register for Membership
Code Scouts and its members receive special benefits from Corporate Partners, including discounts, freebies, space for community meetings, and other perks. We're grateful to all of our Partners for their generous support!
Do you want to share a benefit with Code Scouts? We'd love to hear from you.
Code Scouts Partners
We believe that technical knowledge, especially the ability to understand and create software, is becoming necessary to success as the world becomes more digital. As professional software developers we've seen the lack of diversity in our field, the most dramatic to us being the lack of women. Women represent roughly half the population, yet make up only 18% of software developers.
Our mission is to empower women to find their place in the digital world. As we see it, the barriers to entry are largely social. We aim to uncover the truth about software development -- and technology in general -- which is that anyone can learn these skills, and use them to achieve their goals.
From the outside, the world of technology can seem closed to beginners, and unwelcoming to the uninitiated. We want to welcome outsiders in through creation of a safe and welcoming space. The Code Scouts philosophy embodies five core values: respect, kindness, generosity, growth, and community.
- Respect: Listening and being heard. Having and assuming good intentions. Fostering a community with no judgments about knowledge, skill level or other differences.
- Kindness: Being welcoming and encouraging to one another, especially newcomers and complete beginners.
- Generosity: Cutting others slack, and cutting yourself some slack, too! Sharing your time and skills with your fellow members through peer mentorship. Contributing to open source software.
- Growth: Striving to learn and improve oneself. Understanding that growing takes practice and "failure" is really just one more crucial step toward success.
- Community: Working together as a Code Scouts community, as well as being citizens of the greater programming community. Together we can achieve more, and have more fun.